Welcome to the Town of Longboat Key Hurricane and Severe Weather Preparedness Webpage. We hope you find the information useful and informative!
Although a great deal of attention is paid to devastating impacts associated with hurricanes, residents should also be mindful that severe weather events occur year round in the form of winter storms, tropical storms, and lightning storms. These weather systems can also have damaging effects on our property and present life-threatening situations. We encourage our citizens and visitors to take an “all-hazards” approach in their personal and family preparedness planning.The Town’s website is designed to provide important links to informational resources to aid you in all aspects of preparedness. Please scroll through these pages for useful information on the following topics, as well as many others:
- how to strengthen your home to minimize damage,
- items you need to prepare your personal disaster supply kit,
- creating an evacuation plan, American Red Cross Family Disaster Plan
- enrolling for emergency notifications,
- how to register as a “person with special needs”,
- providing for your pets,
- current hurricane or tropical storm information,
- as well as many other valuable links and information.
The Town of Longboat Key continues to enhance our ability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from tropical storm, hurricanes, and other severe weather. This preparedness includes employee training and education, contracted resources for services such as debris management, mutual aid agreements with other response agencies, and infrastructure improvements within our community. Each year we learn from others’ experience in coping with the impact and recovery from damaging storms.
Additionally, we strive to provide information and tools that our citizens need to adequately prepare themselves, their homes, and property from the devastating effects of weather related disasters.
- Sarasota County and Manatee County Evacuation Routes
- Sarasota County All Hazards Emergency Services
- List of Local Radio & Television Stations for emergency information
- Emergency Agency Contact Numbers and Website Information
- Manatee and Sarasota County Evacuation Shelters
- ABC Channel 7- Hurricane Information
- Discuss the type of hazards that could affect your family
- Make a plan regarding how to evacuate your pets
- Stock non-perishable emergency supplies and a disaster supplies kit
- Please review the following list for additional documents to safeguard
- Identify ways to strengthen your home to minimize storm damage
- Post Disaster Redevelopment Plan - Ordinance 06-30 adopted 02/05/07
These pages contain helpful information to make preparations for an approaching storm as well as tips to assist you after the storm. Please print and save the information now, as you may not have power if a storm impacts our area.
During tropical storm or hurricane events, current information will be posted on this website to provide you with timely information regarding local storm conditions and anticipated risks.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need further information or have a suggestion on how to improve our site.
For hurricane information or questions, please call:
- Sarasota County Call Center: (941) 861-5000
- Manatee County Call Center: (941) 749-3500
Do Not Call 9-1-1 for Hurricane Information!
The 9-1-1 line is reserved for life-threatening emergencies only.
Emergency public shelters do not allow smoking, guns, or alcohol. Pet owners are responsible for planning for their pet(s). Some shelters may be pet friendly, but you will need to verify that they accept pets before taking your pet with you to a shelter.