Peak Season Traffic Tips
Longboat Key is a beautiful place to live, work, and visit throughout the year. More particularly during the months of January - April, the island's population can swell from approximately 8,000 to over 24,000. During peak season, traffic can become very heavy and congestion may occur due to the volume of vehicles on the roads. Below are a few tips on how you can help relieve congestion on the roads during peak season.
- Take advantage of local services on-island. For example, dine on the island at a local restaurant, visit one of our on-island doctors or dentist, utilize the services at an on-island beauty salon. Online shopping is another alternative during peak season.
- Businesses are encouraged to utilize flex scheduling for employees during peak season to help relieve the volume of traffic during rush hours.
- Utilize carpooling with friends, relatives, neighbors and co-workers during peak season or simply choose to walk or ride a bike when possible.
- Schedule off-island appointments during off season or during non-rush hour traffic and combine off-island trips to save time and the number of trips on and off of the key.
- Stay tuned to local radio stations for additional traffic updates.
- Utilize technology in monitoring traffic maps to avoid additional congestion. See below!